If you are looking for a background check service but don’t know how to choose the best background check service, don’t be worried. By the time you are done reading this article you’ll feel armed and ready to make a smart choice for your business, knowing you chose a reputable company as your background check service of choice.
The right background check service will meet certain criteria listed below…
- First and foremost, how to choose the best background check service is to see if they are accredited by the NAPBS, or National Association of Professional Background Screeners. This program is like the background check service of background check services. They go through the procedures each company uses makes sure it matches certain criteria. They need to follow certain laws, background checking standards, and industry practices. If you choose a provider who is accredited by this association, you know you’re dealing with the real thing.
- Of course, you don’t want any crooked companies doing your background check, you want to know all you can about a person…legally. The Fair Credit Reporting Act has laws that govern just how far you are allowed to go in a background checking procedure. Your chosen background check service should be well aware of these laws and follow them to a tee or you might end up being responsible for the broken laws.
- Any company that is reputable has a competitive price. They won’t ask for too much but are sure of their value. So, find a company that isn’t amazingly cheap, more than likely their background checks aren’t thorough. Also stay away from the extremely expensive. Every background checking service must do relatively the same work, their prices should be similar. Compare the few top providers that pique your interest and choose based on value vs. price.
- Different companies will offer a more comprehensive background check. What types of checks do you need? There are ID verifications, criminal history, education and employment verification, driving records, credit reports, international background checking, and reference checking. Some service providers even offer drug testing. Make sure that all your required checks are offered before deciding that a background checking service is right for you.
- How to choose the best background check service can depend on the turnaround time of each company. If you need a relatively quick turnaround time, make sure that you have a guarantee of your desired turnaround time from the provider.
- Good customer service and easy to understand reports are a must. It would be useless to pay good money for a service only to be scratching your head when you get your information. If you have questions you need to be able to get ahold of a real person to help you. Also, how easy is the program to use for your job candidates? You want to make sure you screen employees well, but you don’t want to run them off with a complicated and drawn out screening process.
If you found a background check service provider that matches these criteria, great! You’ve found an invaluable helper in your hiring process.